Tuesday 14 August 2018

Happy Anniversary!

Today marks a year since the neurologist told me I have MS. They say that time flies and I agree it does. But so much has happened this year, that if possible it feels that I've managed to squeeze 2 or 3 years into the space of 1. As I sit here now, I have very little symptoms. I might wake up tomorrow and feel hideous, but at this current moment I am really pleased with how my symptoms are being managed. I inject Copaxone three times a week and this seems to be working well for me. (I am rather worried that I'm writing this and then something terrible is going to happen. ANXIETY ALERT!) I am suffering recently though when injecting. If I inject into my thighs, the area becomes a hard lump and then turns into a wonderful bruise. When I use my arms, the area becomes inflamed and very itchy. The hot weather made the itching ten times worse, thank goodness it's cooling down!
At my appointment last week, the nurse recommended I try my love handle area and I confirmed that I do indeed have plenty of flesh there! I do try to make people laugh in these situations. This is where I will be trying tonight, if I remember. I was supposed to do it Sunday evening, but my memory let me down and I went into my thigh instead. It felt like I was injecting acid into my leg - think I might have hit an area of scar tissue. Delightful!
So it has been a year. I have survived and actually I have coped/lived with it. I'm going through a huge time of change in my life with my separation and having to move out to live on my own for the first time EVER. But I'm surviving. I'm smiling. I'm living. I'm enjoying my life.

Moving on from MS...this is how I am currently feeling. I've been a primary school teacher for 6 years, now moving into my 7th. This coming year I will be teaching Year 6 for the first time. I'm taking my old class up with me, so I'm feeling OK because I know the children. However, I have seen what the pressure of teaching Year 6 does to the best teachers and so I am of course having terrible dreams where my boss tells me I'm not good enough and I'm going to be the school cleaner instead. Not that I would be any good at that either!
I've sat down today to start my school work, but a strange thing happens whenever I try to do my work. It happens when I do it during term time too. I am hit by a huge wave of exhaustion. I can sit down full of energy, but as soon as I start typing I suddenly feel like I need to go and have a nap. I then get a very dry mouth and my nose becomes very blocked. I battle through it because I have to get things done, but I feel like it means I don't put the energy or excitement into my planning that I should do. Does anyone have any tips? It makes me feel like I should be looking for a different career, but I love physically teaching. Just not all the paper work that comes with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment